Buzbee: 'We believe the Texans knew or most certainly should have known of Watson’s conduct'

Sports
Calmcnair800
Houston Texans CEO Cal McNair | Twitter

Houston attorney Tony Buzbee, the legal counsel for a group of women who allege that Cleveland Browns and former Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson committed sexual misconduct against them, filed a lawsuit against the Texans on Monday, according to Houston-based media outlets.

Court documents claim the team enabled Watson’s behavior, Houston NBC affiliate KPRC reported

Buzbee said in a statement distributed to the media that the suit is the first of what could be many against the Texans, per KPRC. 

“Suffice it to say, the overwhelming evidence collected indicating that the Houston Texans enabled Watson’s behavior is incredibly damning,” the attorney said. “We believe the Texans knew or most certainly should have known of Watson’s conduct. Beyond that, we believe the filing speaks for itself.”

Citing a report from ESPN, Houston ABC affiliate KTRK reported that the suit is the most detailed yet among the claims against Watson, whom the Texans selected out of Clemson in 2017 and traded to the Browns earlier this year.

The complaint alleges the seventh-year signal-caller engaged in a pattern “with a multitude of female victims” it describes as "disturbing, predatory and incriminating,” according to the report.

“The Houston Texans turned a blind eye,” the suit asserts. “Worse, the Houston Texans organization enabled Watson’s egregious behavior.”

Representatives with a company the team contracted with to provide massages were documented in the litigation as describing Watson’s behavior to be sketchy and disrespectful of boundaries, KPRC reported.

The Texans allegedly provided its then-starting quarterback resources for his therapy sessions instead of putting an end to the purported misconduct, according to the station.

Court papers claim the sessions took place at The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa with assistance from the team, per KPRC.

Houston Daily reported that 20 of 24 lawsuits against Watson were settled on Tuesday, June 21.

Buzbee’s firm confirmed the settlements in an issued statement but didn't disclose the financial details, the publication reported citing KTRK.

The Texans acknowledged the suit in a statement, per a report on NFL.com.

"Since March 2021, we have fully supported and complied with law enforcement and the various investigations," the team said in the statement. "We will continue to take the necessary steps to address the allegations against our organization."